Wednesday, November 30, 2011

ADVENT

I can talk so easily and chat your ear off, but when it comes to sharing what I have been doing and putting it on paper aka writing it down for putting on this blog, I am at a loss for words. So without further ado
... here is my advent for our grandchildren.
There I think I've about said it all, haven't I? LOL Somehow it seems like bragging to me or it is my insecurity, but....OK, so here goes....I wanted a focus for the children on the Reason. It is so easy even when Christ is the focus in our minds to still get so caught up on wish lists, getting, parties, and traditions. I wanted to create an opportunity for my grandchildren to learn, give, share, and be grateful, and of course to treat them.

I made Christmas ABC flash cards.
I made 'activity' cards. Not quite one a day, but almost. Some are actual activities, some are family stories, some are other readings to keep their little hearts in focus on the Reason.





I decided to take different sized envelopes and decorate them numerically. I asked my husband to make a wooden box to hold and provide an element of display for their table or bookshelf.

I bought Playmobil's nativity and wisemen sets and gave them to each household. I conned my husband into telling one of his imagination stories for the video camera and then I made it into a DVD. I suspect this will be more for my children but nevertheless a great family memory captured forever and onto the next generation. And of course I sent along a few little treats (candy, balloons, etc.)
Each year my daughters will stuff the envelopes with a piece of Playmobil with the 25th bringing baby Jesus along with the other items. And each year I will create some new 'activity cards' for Advent as the children grow and mature taking into consideration the age appropriateness even into the teen years.


2 comments:

  1. Beccy, this is a gorgeous gift. Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart, ideas and creations with us. From, Denise Duggan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Denise! It's been a long time :( Thanks for your kind words! :)

    ReplyDelete